Eventually, while stumbling like a drunk through a highly scented candle aisle at a huge craft store I was able to link the symptoms as my response to the overwhelming fragrance emanating from the candles. But I still didn't know why I had this same response when I was nowhere near strawberry or vanilla scented candles.
One evening while "Googling" a particular shampoo I'd heard was "all organic" I stumbled on the Environmental Working Group . This hard working group dedicated to exploring what's in shampoos, conditioners, hair spray, nail polish and many other beauty products was a gold mine of information. Basically any product, from the gorgeously, voluptuously fragrant and sudsy, to the bracingly astringent: deodorant to under eye brighteners, all of it could be investigated, named and cataloged and it's ingredients exposed for all to see.
I typed the name of my product into the "search" box and was shocked to find that although it was chock-a-block full of organic goodies, it still contained several elements that might cause anything from cancer, organ system toxicity, biochemical or cellular level changes to developmental or reproductive toxicity, as well as allergic reactions.
My mind was officially blown. Never again would I smile and nod dreamily as I read the latest hype about an all organic, wonder product that would add what ever I lacked and subtract anything objectionable from my: face, hair, body. Now every ingredient in every product would be looked at with a jaded eye.
And it's work, a journey...the road less traveled for me. But that's what this blog is all about: what's safe to use, what those fancy names really mean, what the real risks may be for me or anyone else. I never thought I'd be doing anything like this, but I'm driven to stop throwing my money at dangerous dreams. I want to know that what I'm putting on me - and eventually in me through absorption will not have any dangerous side effects.