Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Aubrey Organics Primrose Tangle- Go

I bought this product before I knew anything about the incredible database that Environmental Working Group publishes as Skin Deep. I's a great resource for me- really. I have some kind of allergic reaction to lots of beauty products - or maybe it would be more appropriate to say I have a reaction to lots of the ingredients in lots of beauty products. And it's definitely cumulative, so the less troublesome ingredients in each product the better for me.

What I'm mostly working with here is wild energetic hair. I read somewhere I have what are called "type 2b curls". They're mostly loose waves if I can force down the incredible and inevitable frizz. And frizz busting is what 'Tangle-Go' claims to do- along with softening and bringing out shine.

So- this product does what it says it will do- smooths out my frizzy hair and leaves a healthy, natural looking shine. I end up with soft waves. And it works well on the second and third day after I shampoo. Those of you with dry frizz know that washing even every other day is counterproductive...

My biggest complaint- and it's a BIG one- is the lavender scent. It's almost overpowering for me. Very, very strong. Wish they'd tone it down. Or even better- get rid of it. I hesitate every time I think of using it. If I know I'm going into any questionable environments- like a closed door training or meeting with lots of aftershave/ perfume wearing colleagues I'll fore-go the 'Tangle- Go'.  Also, I do experience what I've been calling allergic symptoms when I've used it, although my symptoms have been mild.

Additionally on the positive side: it doesn't irritate my face and sinuses while I sleep. This is a big one also. Whatever is on my hair also ends up on my pillow and sometimes when products with scents get on my pillow I'll wake up with a rash and/or a sinus headache. That's never happened with this product- despite what to me is a very strong scent. Another nice plus is that my husband says he likes the 'aroma'- and he barely attends to those kinds of things anymore...

 A little more about Environmental Working Group: Environmental Working Group/ Skin Deep. One of their projects is focused entirely on "beauty products". The project is called Skin Deep. On this site you will find a database that provides a break down of many product's ingredients as well as a score for each based on the toxic or non- toxic ingredients the product contains.

The amount of detail they supply is amazing.  Each ingredient gets a score from "0" to "10" based on its toxicity- or lack of toxicity: the lower the score, the better. Then a final score is given based on the scores of all the ingredients. For example "Tangle-Go" received a "2" which is okay. I'm really striving to purchase "0"s' and "1"s' to avoid the cumulative effect.

If you don't find the product you're searching for in their current database you can type in the name, ingredients, and directions for use to get what they call a "preliminary result". It's an unofficial until they can review it for accuracy, but it's still very helpful.

Here's what they had to say about Aubrey Organics Primrose Tangle-Go beginning with it's full name:



Aubrey Organics Primrose Tangle-Go Hair Conditioner, Lusterizer and Styling Spray

Ingredients in this product are linked to:
noCancer
noDevelopmental/reproductive toxicity
yesAllergies/immunotoxicity
noUse restrictions
yesOther concerns for ingredients used in this product:
Endocrine disruption, Multiple, additive exposure sources


Ingredients from packaging: INGREDIENTS: Witch
Hazel (natural herbal extract), Deionized Water, Mucopolysaccharides, Organic Lavender Oil, Lanolin, Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Evening Primrose Oil, Panthenol (Vitamin B-5). 

Overall Score: 
2




81%

   9% of styling gel/lotions have lower concerns

ingredients                   score         data     concerns

  

LANOLIN471%    Allergies/immunotoxicity
PANTHENOL288%    Multiple, additive exposure sources
HAMAMELIS VIRGINIANA (WITCH HAZEL)197%    None Identified
LAVENDER OIL
(ORGANIC)
197%    Endocrine disruption
GLYCOSAMINOGLYCANS
MUCOPOLYSACCHARIDES
0100%    None Identified
VEGETABLE GLYCERIN0100%    None Identified
OENOTHERA BIENNIS (EVENING PRIMROSE) OIL
(ORGANIC)
094%    None Identified
WATER
(DEIONIZED)
00%    Innocuous

Endocrine disruption*

*Listed below are endocrine disruption concerns for the ingredients used by this manufacturer, drawn from Skin Deep data sources. Some concerns may be specific to how a product is used or formulated; product scores reflect those variances.
type of concern:   ingredient(s):
Limited evidence of any disruption LAVENDER OIL

Allergies/immunotoxicity*

*Listed below are allergies/immunotoxicity concerns for the ingredients used by this manufacturer, drawn from Skin Deep data sources. Some concerns may be specific to how a product is used or formulated; product scores reflect those variances.
type of concern:
ingredient(s):
Known human immune system toxicant LANOLIN

Multiple, additive exposure sources*

*Listed below are multiple, additive exposure sources concerns for the ingredients used by this manufacturer, drawn from Skin Deep data sources. Some concerns may be specific to how a product is used or formulated; product scores reflect those variances.
type of concern:
ingredient(s):
Designated as safe for general or specific, limited use in food VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, LANOLIN
Used in food or as an additive with limited or no toxicity information available PANTHENOL


Here's a direct link to the Skin Deep database:  Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog! I know what you mean about scents and especially lavender. So many people love it, but I can't handle it. It has a very overpowering effect on me and can sometimes lead to an almost instant migraine. My mother in-law has this essential oil calming mist, that she sprays in a room sometimes, and it always makes me feel sick. She loves it and sprays it around my kids to calm them down. I don't think it does anything but give me a headache. A lot of people don't realize the power of scent and how it can affect others around them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you've got it too. And of course it's your mother-in-law who loves scents. Makes for an especially awkward situation...

    About 5 years ago in a futile attempt to get myself to do yoga I took a class from a very nice woman. The class was great- even for me. At the end of class while we were lying down on our mats composing ourselves and being still the teacher went to each mat and sprayed an essential oil to help us relax even further. I immediately recognized lavender... so much for relaxation.

    Best of luck dealing with your MIL regarding the lavender issue ... And thank you SO much for commenting on my blog! Even though my stats show people are stopping by the posts it's amazing how great it feels to hear from readers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the exact way (about hearing from readers).

    :)

    ReplyDelete