Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Decipher Product Labels—Silicones, Alcohols, Hairsprays

I just ran across some great information on the Naturally Curly website: Naturally Curly. And after the following little digression/explanation I'm going to pass it along.

I digress right here: Although my plan has been to make Naturally Curly (NC) and Curly Girl (CG) the subject of it's own blog, when I found out they sell products through a store associated with their site I backed down. Any reviews on the same site as a store make me suspicious. I've been lured by one too many blogs that end up being associated with stores: where their information has been a lot more about selling than telling...

You know what I'm talking about I'm sure. A nice cheerful little header, some pictures of models with gorgeous hair, well written information about how to achieve aforementioned hair, and a product mentioned here and there in the body of the text with some great reviews on how well it works. And...what a surprise...you can get said product right there with one simple click. Home shopping in the new millennium! Maybe you're more savvy than me, but I've been hooked more than once. Then the shipping is a bundle, and when the product arrives it's no better than the junk at the grocery store that's half its price.

I'm NOT saying Naturally Curly does this. It's happened to me on other sites and so I'm wary.
Stands to reason, right? Burned in the past, I wanted to research Naturally Curly a little more before I give them my "seal of approval".

So along with the disclaimer that I haven't completed all my research on the Naturally Curly site, I'm passing along a link to some information that seems very useful. What makes me the most confident about linking you to this site is that the only two products mentioned in this particular text are simply used for comparison. Also I've read very similar information on other sites not associated with any store.  And most impressively I've seen it on my personal favorite: Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep: Skin Deep , so I feel like I can trust the Natural Curly site in this instance. Now if that's not scientific...

In case you need a little more of an introduction before you click... Some products are called natural and/ or organic and so in our minds that's really great- like beeswax. But for some people that natural or organic ingredient might create the very problem they're trying to cure. This article will give you very straightforward information on what to look for and what to avoid.

Click on the link below for more info-  and good luck finding the products that work the best for you. If you find something that really works well I'd love to hear from you.

Learn to Decipher your Product Labels—Silicones, Alcohols, Hairsprays, Oh My!

No comments:

Post a Comment