Saturday, July 23, 2011

Beauty Without Cruelty (BWC) Daily Benefits Conditioner

Bonnyman photo
What does dimethicone have to do with Beauty without Cruelty (BWC) Daily Benefits Conditioner?

Well, it's now the sixth ingredients in a list of twenty four. Had I not decided to review this product and in the process read Earth Friendly Beauty's post about an hour ago I wouldn't have known the ingredient list had changed. That is unless I just happened to be wearing an Optivisor and decided to read labels to pass the time. Which means never.

Oh... and I discovered this after I bought a 16 oz. bottle of the stuff and used it. But it was cheap and I only used it a few times.

What made me want to review this product in the first place was how silky and smooth my hair felt after each use. Because I was under the delusion the product was silicone free I was quite impressed. I still had my normal amount of waves and curl but it was so much smoother.

Now that I know dimethicone is what's doing the work? Meh.

I thought I'd done enough research before buying BWC's conditioner. I read lots of reviews on the web and made sure I reviewed the ingredients carefully. Of course I checked the Skin Deep rating which was a very respectable 1 (one). BWC even has Full Member Status with Skin Deep. And I could buy a 16 oz. bottle on vitacost for only $6.67? I should have known it was too good to be true.

Beauty Without Cruelty photo
What I hadn't yet unearthed was the company changed hands in 2009. Once based in the UK and subject to the more environmentally strict standards for beauty care products that are legally part of doing business in England, BWC's base is now Wisconsin. USA rules apply. Things could change and they did.  Gliding along on the good will they accumulated as a UK company they must have forgotten to inform Skin Deep of the formula change.

I'm certainly not without responsibility in this. The change occurred in 2009. I should have researched the product more carefully and critically.

When preparing a post I spend a lot of time combing through reviews and ingredient lists to make sure everything is correct and up to date. Which is how I found out about BWC and the formula change. I

Sadder but wiser I did have to don an Optivisor to read the ingredients on the label. They matched the ones listed on the Beauty Without Cruelty (BWC) website exactly. So I built my own report on Skin Deep.

Beauty Without Cruelty Daily Benefits Conditioner

Score
Data: Limited
Health ConcernLOW
Product Typeconditioner
Made byBeauty Without Cruelty by Lotus Brands, Inc.
Data last updatedJuly 2011
how to read the score
Ingredients:

Water; Aloe barbadensis leaf juice; Cetearyl alcohol; Glyceryl stearate; Glycerin; Dimethicone; Stearamidopropyl dimethylamine; Panthenol; Behetrimonium chloride; Citrus aurantium oil; Lavandula hybrida oil; Lemongrass oil; Anthemis nobilis extract; Salvia officinalis extract; Rosmarinus officinalis extract; Equisetum arvense extract; Urtica dioica extract; Lavandula angustifolia extract; Inositol; Soy protein; Citric acid; Ethyl hexyl glycerin; Sodium benzoate; Potassium sorbate
Health Concerns Of Ingredients:

About the ratings
Overall Hazardyes
Canceryes
Developmental & reproductive toxicityyes
Allergies & immunotoxicityyes
Use restrictionsyes
Other HIGH concerns: Multiple, additive exposure sources, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs)
Other MODERATE concerns: Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
Other LOW concerns: Ecotoxicology, Data gaps, Enhanced skin absorption


Final Thoughts: 

So what's the big deal? It's still only a two, right? Not exactly. Even though I forgot this critical fact when I purchased BWC's conditioner I now caution us both to remember, the devil is in the details.

The detail here is that dimethicone coats each strand of hair with silicone. Your hair may feel silkier and look smoother but the silicone is not actually absorbed and doesn't make your hair healthier or add moisture. Also dimethicone is the type of silicone that's not water soluble. It builds up on hair. And here comes the worst part for me. To remove dimethicone build-up requires repeated washings with a shampoo that contains sulfates. Those are the shampoos that among other things really dry out your hair.

Live and learn.

Would you like to know more?  Here are my references and they're a good place to start:

Holistically Haute

Skin Deep dimethicone 

What's the Scoop on Silicones?

Silicone or Not- What's in a Name?