Thursday, July 7, 2011

Boscia B.B. Cream SPF 27 PA++

guardian.co.uk photo
Sehora's newsletter/latest sales pitch comes straight to my inbox. Today's big beauty news is about , "B.B"s.  Allegedly the toast of Asia, B.B. stands for blemish balm or beauty balm and is the code name for multitasking beauty products that initially look like simple tinted moisturizers until they sprout arms, take your keys from you and start your car. No. sorry... They provide SPF sunscreen protection, conceal, and treat skin in just one simple step.

The first brand I noticed in the splashy photo spread was from Boscia. Back when I first discovered my skincare was responsible for tearing up my face Boscia was the first fragrance free, non- irritating skincare brand I tried. I've since learned that only some Boscia products are in the no to low hazard range in Skin Deep's database.

So I entered the ingredients of Boscia B.B. Cream spf 27 PA++ into Skin Deep's database. What follows are the results...



sephora.com photo

 Boscia B.B. Cream SPF 27 PA ++
Score
Data: Limited
 Health Concern
MODERATE
Product Typessunscreen: moisturizer; sunscreen: SPF 15-30
Made byBoscia by Fancl International, Inc.
  Data last updatedJuly 2011 
how to read the score

Ingredients:
Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Sodium PCA, Glycereth-26, Dimethicone, Dipropylene Glycol, Arbutin, Beta-Glucan, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, PEG-10 Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Methylsilanol Hydroxyproline Aspartate, Panthenol, Alteromonas Ferment Extract, Phenyl Trimethicone, Acrylates/Dimethicone Coploymer, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Sodium Hyaluronate, Allantoin, Adenosine, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Butylene Glycol, Stearic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, PEG/PPG-20/15 Dimethicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Alumina, Mica, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Levulinate, Sodium Anisate, Iron Oxide (C.I. 77499), Iron Oxide (C.I. 77491), Iron Oxide (C.I. 77492).

Health concerns of ingredients
About the ratings
Overall Hazardyes
Canceryes
Developmental & reproductive toxicityyes
Allergies & immunotoxicityyes
Use restrictionsyes
Other HIGH concerns: Neurotoxicity, Persistence and bioaccumulation, Multiple, additive exposure sources, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Contamination concerns
Other MODERATE concerns: Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)
Other LOW concerns: Endocrine disruption, Ecotoxicology, Data gap
So....  
Sounds like a pass for me. I'm sticking with hara sport spf 30.

Here's  a good place to look for other low to no hazard alternatives.