Monday, May 16, 2011

Korres Milk Proteins Foaming Cream Cleanser Review

If you've visited this site before you know my main focus is to research what's available in body care products and ferret out formulations that not only work great but also DO NO HARM. I start with a complete list of the product ingredients then see if they meet the criteria for a low hazard rating ( 0-2 ) in Skin Deep 's database. Then I try them on myself. Shampoo, toothpaste, soap, deodorant, facial cleansers, make-up... I want to know about all of them.

Initially I needed to search no farther than the graveyard of opened and barely used products languishing in my own cupboard. I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I'm a sucker for the next best thing. So there was plenty to explore in my cupboard. Those little excursions led to several epiphanies followed by severe weeding. There were things in there I should never have used in the first place. Filled with everything bad. Only the hype was good. Talk about buyer's remorse!

At first it was kind of fun discovering the facts hidden so well by myth, hype, the fact there are no real regulations on body care products and the teeny tiny print. But now it's just depressing. I'm annoyed that I'm researching and then writing post after post all with the same trajectory. Let's begin with high hopes, then there's the hard crash landing once reality sinks in... and ending with an almost clarion call of foul... All that negative energy... who wants that?

So I've been researching companies themselves. There seem to be a lot of products put out by smaller companies. The marketing I'm reading all focuses on the company's commitment to actually using safe, non-toxin ingredients, not just claiming they do. I've contacted several of these companies to ask for samples of products I can review. I haven't had any takers yet, but you'll be the first to know when I do. If any of you are part of a company that meets my criteria I'd love to hear from you. Free advertising, right?

Until then I've got this review of Korres Milk Proteins Foaming Cream Cleanser. Here are Korres' claims taken directly from
the Korres page on Sephora:
Korres

With roots in the oldest homeopathic pharmacy in Athens, Greece, Korres is committed to developing natural skincare, color, and body products that provide maximum results. Their formulations are among the most environmentally friendly and skin compatible available today, utilizing active natural extracts with antioxidant and skin-transforming benefits for clinically proven results. Powerful yet pampering, Korres delivers fit-for-a-goddess beauty that's the ultimate in natural luxury.
Sounds great doesn't it? And who doesn't want a good facial cleanser? Here's what Skin Deep's database found regarding the ingredients in Korres Milk Proteins Foaming Cream Cleanser: 
 
PRELIMINARY REPORT: The information on this page was entered by a Skin Deep user and has not been verified by EWG.
Score
Data
Health ConcernMODERATE
Product Typefacial cleanser
Made byKorres by Korres Natural Products Ltd.

May 2011 Data last updated
how to read the score

Health concerns of ingredients
About the ratings
Overall Hazardyes
Canceryes
Developmental & reproductive toxicityyes
Allergies & immunotoxicityyes
Use restrictionsyes
Other HIGH concerns: Neurotoxicity, Miscellaneous, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Occupational hazards
Other MODERATE concerns: Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Contamination concerns
Other LOW concerns: Ecotoxicology, Data gaps, Enhanced skin absorption
Here's the link to my search of you want to see the rest of the findings about this product.

As always I owe a huge thank you to Environmental Working Group and Skin Deep for all they do every day. Check out the links to learn more about these wonderful resources.

So where does that leave me? Well I know I'm not springing $21.00 for a hazard level 5 just to find out if it makes my skin look pretty (before making me ill). All I can say is, Kiss My Face 3-ingredient olive oil soap bar I'm sticking with you.

If you have a product you'd like to investigate click here You may also contact me through the comments section in this post or tweet me: http://twitter.com/minamosha