Monday, May 30, 2011

Better than a day at Caudalie...and In Season

Silly, silly me! I once believed homemade facials were only for old hippies. Now that I know how wonderful, safe and affordable these concoctions can be I'm on the lookout for recipes all the time.

What follows are simple recipes with easily acquired ingredients. Many include in-season fruits like blueberries and strawberries. You probably already have most of what you need in your refrigerator or cupboard.

So scramble up your concoction, put a Do-Not-Disturb sign on the door and treat yourself to a facial.

Hydrating Exfoliating Mask - I didn't bother with the brush for this and the results were still glorious. Thanks to Kate Somerville




Blueberry Facial Mask - this one will hydrate and nourish your skin. I was inspired to try a blueberry mask by my friend, Keshyra aka Enviromommy. Thanks to Charmaine Leah at Glamology for the recipe.

Mash together well with a fork or puree in a blender:

1/4 cup blueberries (organic is preferable) 
1/2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil

Slather over face or gently work into face with fingertips
Leave on a total of 15 minutes, then rinse well with warm water.
My skin felt very soft and hydrated when I was done





Avocado Mask - definitely hydrated and soothed my skin. Thanks to Nili Nathan at Nili Nathan Avocado Facial Mask 

Mash together well with a fork:
1/4 ripe Avocado
1/2 to 1 TBSP Plain Yogurt
1 to  1 1/2  TBSP Honey
Apply to your face. Leave on for 20-25 minutes. Wash off with warm water
You may store any left overs in the refrigerator for a day or two.




A Mask For Your Skin Type- thanks to Jeanne Mai